As a person coming from technical background, I’m always tempted to fantasize about exciting technical solutions on the web that make big commercial wins. Most people around me do. Of course, there is a number of web & IT businesses that started in a garage (sounds familiar, huh?) and reached sky heights, but most of the mortals should probably go for something much simpler.
We have a Windows Server 2008 r2 with Hyper-V on a true server hardware and dozens of VMs on it. I’ve setup an Ubuntu x64 machine on my computer and wanted to consolidate by moving it to the server. Export/import went fine, but it booted into a black screen with a cursor in upper left corner.
Don’t try this at home, OK?
I wanted to try out less than Basic TFS setup. I only wanted source control part to start with. I took the following:
- Existing AD Domain
- Domain user on local machine with VS 2010 ready
- Remote virtual Windows Server 2008 R2 created by merging Hyper-V template
- TFS 2010 Installation Disc
First step was installation, and there is not much to say about it – just use minimum set of features, but then comes the hard part – configuration.
For a while I was blaming bad documentation for a number of days spent figuring out what’s wrong, but I finally realized that my case is rather specific.
Here are some of requirements that took a while to figure out:
- SQL Server Express Edition must be 2008.
- At some point, domain authentication won’t work if machine uses cloned/duplicate SID.
- Use sysprep /generalize on a clean machine to change SID .
- Do not use NewSID 4.10. It results in BSOD.
I’m normally using remote desktop to access my Hyper-V server. Btw, I also use remote desktop to access virtual machines hosted on Hyper-V. So, today I was trying to connect to a virtual machine from Server Manager, and nothing happened. Google search? No luck. It took me a while to figure out that machine (console) has already been connected from another remote desktop Server Manager session. Strange dependency, terrible feedback. As expected.
Taking a note:
var str = "ABCDEFGHABCD"; //some string
alert(str.replace(/A/g), "I"); //replacing each appearance
//of A with an I
When you think you are done with the development, you are at the beginning of resolving cross-IE compatibility issues. At least as a beginner every one of us have gone through this phase. The world is offering IE Collection, IETester, Multiple IEs…
Solution: In order for video tag to work in Safari on Windows, it is required to have the Apple QuickTime installed too. Period.
This time, both browser and eclipse are stuck, and Eclipse freezes at “Launching [project]” 57% (in this case), with details saying “Launching: waiting for XDebug session”.
This rather comprehensive error message comes from eclipse when a breakpoint is hit while debugging with XDebug web script on a remote server.
It is not that bad as it seems – all I needed to do is remove (watch) Expressions from the list. I don’t really care about the reason this happens – good thing is that it just helps.